Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Burgundy 1er cru under $10!

 I had yesterday a rare sample on my table: a Burgundy Nuits St Georges 1er cru 1994 and besides the fact that 94 was not a good year it remains a good experience. I found the bottle, half bottle in fact, a while ago at the Grocery Outlet in Oakland for $6.99! It was not excellent but definitly better than everything else I have blogged here ;-) One of the big difference with regular cheap wines is the richness of the nectar which makes little amounts to satisfy your need. Usually a whole bottle of wine or so is needed for a dinner for 2; with this one we barely finish the half bottle (there was some solid at the bottom) so unless you're a pig you shouldn't need as much of a high quality (i.e. expensive) wine than you need of a cheap one. Not that I'm an alcoholic but I'm gonna stick to the cheap ones for now ;-) 

2 comments:

David said...

premiere cru under $10! What is the catch?!? Have you tried Borsao? That's a good Spanish red for about $6.

ppelous said...

Thanks for the comment. I will definitely add the Borsao to my "to taste" list!